Rule Book Committee

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

The Rule Book Committee will be meeting in November to go over any and all changes to the rule book.

I'd like to encourage the whole membership to read our rule book and come up with any changes they'd like to see. We can discuss them here, in this thread, or if you prefer to remain anonymous, you can write them up in a proposal and send them along to your riders rep.

2. Dean

Ok, I'll go first. I'd like to see the introduction of a class called the Fast 25 much like Edmonton's class. Here is what I propose:

Fast 25
    • Open to all Intermediate and Expert racers.
    • Motorcycle must meet Superbike technical requirements.
    • Entrants will be restricted to the fastest 25 racers from the Saturday (or Friday) Practice times as recorded by the WMRC timing system.
    • Gridding will be determined by laptimes (as recorded by the club timing system) the fastest lap time will be gridded first and so on.
    • If there are more than 25 entries then those that qualify 26th or lower will not race but they will have their entry fee refunded.
    • This is a non-championship race. (no points awarded)
    • There is a cash payout to the top three finishers based on a percentage of the “Fast 25” entrance money. The payout schedule is as follows: approximately 50% to first place, 30% to second place and 20% to third place. (For example: 20 entries X $30 entrance fee = $600 total. The WMRC would take 33% as race track fees ($200) leaving a purse of $400 for the race. First would get $200, second would get $120, third would get $80.) The more racers in the race, the more prize money there will be.

Also, based on Rachel's feedback at our last meeting, I'd also propose this class too:

Women’s Open
    • Open to all women 16 years of age or older
    • Motorcycle must meet Superbike technical requirements
    • Minimum 3 racers

3. jcathie

jcathie Member

Nikola already has my :2cents: worth.

4. Dean

But I think that open discussion of the rules by the whole membership, on a public forum, can only help to improve the rules and have all parties accept them more readily.

That's why I wanted to see all rule proposals/changes listed publicly so members can weigh in on yay/nay about them.

5. *Jay*

*Jay* Member

fast 25 sounds like a cool idea!

6. jcathie

jcathie Member

OK, here goes:

Award 1 point to the rider leading the most laps in a race.

If there is a tie between riders for most laps led, the point is awarded to the rider that finishes highest in the official finishing order. If a rider does not finish a race but leads the most laps, that rider is still awarded the point. A rider that is Disqualified from a race but leads the most laps is NOT awarded a point for most laps led; the point is awarded to the rider that led the next largest number of laps. A rider may be considered Disqualified either by penalty assessed during the race or post-race.

P.S. I also like the Fast 25 idea. It's starting to bring us back into money classes, which is a whole 'nother subject.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I like the fast 25, I ran it in Edmonton and really enjoyed it. If we keep the entracne fees reasonable it becomes another fun class for a large variety of riders and machines.

I would like to see the gridding done from the times in morning practice instead of the day before, this would allow riders not able to practice the day before a chance to enter the class and allow riders that have a off day a chance to make the field the following day.
    Riders winning the fast 25 would be prohibited from reentering the class allowing a new winner every race. 2nd and 3rd place finishers would be allowed to reenter.

I also like the idea of a blue #1 plate. This would be awarded to the rider who accumulates the most points combined from all entered classes throughout the year. So even if you are not the fastest rider, but you enter multiple classes every raceday, you would still have a chance a WMRC title.

I would like to see points awarded for races where fewer than 5 riders are on the grid. We could shorten the races accordingly. For example. in the event that only 1 rider chooses to grid up, that rider would make 1 solo lap and be awarded 25 first place points. (Possibly 26 with the additional 1 point for most laps led if John's suggestion also makes the rule book). 2 riders would be awarded 1st and 2nd place points, but maybe only run a 5 lap race. etc etc.....

8. tyson169

tyson169 New Member

I also like the Fast 25. I was thinkin instead of gridding them quickest time on pole and so on ,wouldnt it make for good racing if the 25 were pulled out of a hat,that way someone who may normally run midpack gets the draw for pole and has a great start,he could be very hard for the front runners to catch. :) No one prohibited just gotta be fast enuff!!!

As for the blue #1. For me there should only be one #1. It should be kept for the Superbike champion as it is the hardest championship to win and the one we all want. Just my 2 cents

9. Dean

Ok, next point. I've done my research on this one too. Currently, we are the only club left that techs bikes on each day of the races. All other clubs tech once per weekend (Edmonton, Calgary, Washington, Oregon). I propose that for WMRC events, you will tech your bike on the first day only, and if you've not had any accidents, there is no need to bring your bike back through tech for that weekend. That's the way that all the other clubs run it.

What I frequently see is a rider that runs their bike through tech, then goes back to their pits and changes tires, totally invalidating the tech visit anyway. I think this would streamline the tech procedure and make for a very quick next day to get straight to racing.

Maybe we can look at an additional procedure to allow racers to pay for the whole weekend as well, thus preventing the need to go through reg again too.

10. Dean

I totally agree Jay! Both Edmonton and Calgary have a blue #1 plate holder and it really does reward those who run multiple classes. It doesn't invalidate the black #1 plate holder, but it does give a chance for even an intermediate to gain a #1 plate!

11. amartin

amartin Member

If the entrance fees were higher, the purse would be bigger and new people (or old faces - fast people) might actually come back.

Huh? How would this even work? If you started with 25 racers, after 25 races you'd have none and everyone would have won. Everyone already has a equal chance to win. You do it by going faster than everyone else. This kind of rule would go against the spirit of racing.

I would definitely NOT like to see this.

12. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

We already have entrance fees higher than most of the clubs around us. This is supposed to be a fun class to give riders more track time. I don't think the "old faces - fast people" will decide to race or not based on the difference between a 1st place paying $150 or 300.

1) we won't have 25 races a year, likely 8 max.
    2) this isn't another superbike class, this is fun cheap racing for everyone

Thank-you for your opinion.

13. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

To make this attractive, you should have a much lower entry fee for this class. Also waive the "take the courses again" rule, for women that have not raced in a while, provided that they only enter this one class for their first year back.

The much lower fee is a must esp. if they are only entering one race.

14. amartin

amartin Member

There were 22 in the round 6 superbike. I don't see why everyone in that wouldn't want the extra race. At $75, that's $1650, less say $250 for WMRC.

Oh, my mistake. It sounded like a superbike-like race. the part about the "fastest 25 on superbike like equipment" confused me. If we were all on 250's, I could see the cheap/fun part you speak of. The racing is slow, low-risk, cheap on tires, etc. This is not the case with larger equipment.

No problem. I know you think I'm being a jerk but if I didn't care at all I wouldn't say anything nor would I show up and parade around with 3 or 4 bikes (which I have to say hasn't been much fun). I think getting more racers here should be a priority for the club.

15. bsa_414

I'm +1 on Jayson's idea of scoring less than 5 bikes. I would not however like the races shortened. I've always said this (and will continue to do so) I pay my money, I want my full laps DAMMIT! :cool:

16. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Most of us don't run top 3 or even top 5. The vast majority of racers I've spoken with race for the enjoyment of battling for position with their friends, even if that battle is for 15th place. Not all of us will win a championship, but we come out and run for the fun of it. In Edmonton they usually have 15 to 20 rider fields.

17. bsa_414

For this fast 25 thing...

Maybe we need a clarification on what Superbike technical requirements are. When I first read it, I understood it's yet another superbike class.

18. vanilla18

vanilla18 New Member

I feel like I have read this from one of the execs somewhere on the forum at one point but I would like to see a class for bikes 10 years old and older. I have not done any head counts but Im pretty sure there are enough racers in the club with machines that would qualify for this to make a decent size grid.

19. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

The class would be open to everyone, the superbike rules just help make it open to any and all bikes.
    We could raise the entry fee, and we will consider that, but the original idea was similar to F118 without the time limit.
    No one thinks your trying to be a jerk, I (and I believe all of the exec) value everyones opinion. The only way to grow this club and keep the sport alive is to make the club and the classes open to as many riders as possible, while keeping cost per lap as low as possible so everyone can afford to come out and run. We need as many opinions as possible to make that happen, so all input is valueable.

20. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Valid point Alex, I did notice that in Calgary if there was only 1 rider they made a solo lap. I personally think that 3 riders makes a race, but we would have to work that out. We have to balance grid size with schedules and keep in mind that the fans that do come out to watch don't want to see a solo bike make 10 laps. There is still much to consider with any of the proposed changes.