Any Info on Ninja 250 Class?

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Dean Thompson, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I'm picking up a baby Ninja to try out in the proposed Ninja 250 Class for next season. Are any details available yet in regards to rules etc? It should be fun racing a 250 and my R1 back to back. :(

PS. Marbod, any weight comments could end bad for you. :behead

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Dean, Mike, Ryan and I were at the Seattle bike show this weekend anad had a very enlightening conversation with Tim from WMMRA about how their class came about and the success they are having. We're looking at their rule structure to see what may or may not work for us. Our idea at this point is to keep the class as simple as possible so that as many of these machines from Canada and the US can come race with us, and so that our riders can easily go down and race with them.

Stay tuned as we are actively working to define the class....

3. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

yeah, really exciting stuff! The enthusiasm expressed by the WMRRA crew made us all want to jump on one. As Jay said, we are working on this actively.

4. Ryan Welton

Ryan Welton No..the other Ryan

It sounds like we are all going on a diet!

5. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

You will also be able to race the 250 in Formula Classic under the Select Modern category.This is a new class that is designed to replace and incorporate the old Vintage class, while allowing more modern bikes from the 70's 80's, 90's and select current production models (basically smaller displacement bikes that are not competitive with 600's+) to race in a fun, competitive environment.

cheers
    alex

6. bsa_414

I might be wrong here, but my understanding was that they originally intended the 250 class to be an entry level class for novices and riders that wanted to ride small displacement bikes, keeping the costs low and therefore increasing ridership (grid sizes). Very similar to what Tim Fowler did with the CB160 class. Pick up a cheap bike, minimal prep (enough to meet tech standards), and basically stock. Then Kawi USA stepped in and placed some restrictions - USA VIN's only, 2008 or newer etc. That kind of excludes anyone from north of the border from racing their 250 down there. Point is, you start making too many rules, and the fun, low cost and increased grid sizes go away (read as less revenue for the club). My info is from early in the fall, so things might have changed by now, but it's something to keep in mind.

P.S They do however have another class where bikes that do not fall under the stricter rules can race.

alex

7. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Faaack! I just realised I bought a ZZR250, not a EX250. Is this POS even legal for the Ninja 250 class? :confused:

8. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I'm pretty sure its the same thing. Details are being finalized, but based on the rule book committee meeting, there shouldn't be a problem.

9. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I see the WMRRA doesn't allow the ZZR250 since it's a non-US model (Canadian import only), but since it is a Canadian model I'm hoping it will be allowed in the WMRC series. It's 30+ pounds heavier than the Ninja, has the same engine, but a different frame. It's more of a sport-touring bike than a sport bike compared to the Ninja.

10. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I can't see that being an issue at all in our series. It's still a Kawi 250.

11. Reckless

Reckless New Member

What was talked about at the rules committee meeting was for it to be as stock as possible and open to all years of the Kawasaki 250 four stroke so any of the old EX's or ZZR's would be fine in the class. (no KR 250 two strokes please)
    You could race the bike in other classes like Formula Classic if you want. I am sure that the grids will be combined to get enough bikes on the track but the Ninja 250 will be scored as a separate race for points.
    If we have simple rule and keep the scoring separate for a Ninja 250 class then Kawasaki will support it and everything is good.

WMMRA rules were proposed like this. I don't know if that has changed since their committee meeting.

e. Ninja Cup - Ninja Cup Class Requirements
    Ninja Cup is open to all Kawasaki 250R or EX250 and will run under SUPERSPORT REGULATIONS - Section P - (page 32) with the exception of:
    i. No internal engine modifications are allowed. (example: degreeing of cam(s) is not allowed,
    running a larger piston is not allowed, machining of gasket surfaces is not allowed)
    ii. The class can only run “Street Legal” pump fuel. (Example: 87‐93 octane unleaded fuel readily available at your local gas station, designed to be run in street licensed vehicles).
    iii. Removal of rear snorkel on air box is allowed."

12. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Thanks for the update. :cheers:

13. Reckless

Reckless New Member

No problem. If we get our class organized and Kawasaki likes it then we become the model for the rest of the tracks in Canada. If we wait until someone else defines it then Kawasaki will want us to follow them.
    I think the exec and the rules committee will have good rules in place and the WMRC can lead things in the right direction.

14. Nancy

Nancy Practice Racer

I may have to start looking for a 250. It would be good to race a small bike again. Hopefully this goes ahead.

15. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

Stock bikes are a very good call, makes for better handlebar banging!
    I'll put one on display at the Daytona Party.
    I hope this works well, should be good racing.

16. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Thanks for all your hard work and effort to make this happen for 2011 Nikola.

17. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Bike show this weekend. Great chance for Kawasaki to talk to the WMRC and get the dealing finalized!

18. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Just a point/question on the new class: is there a reason Novice racers can't enter? I think it's a good class to start off in without getting on a powerful bike. I realize Novices can race a 250 in Novice races, but it could be dangerous with the closing speeds of the bigger bikes lapping them. I was hoping to get my 15 year old son into racing and thought this would be a perfect beginner class, but the rules so far indicate Int and Exp only. :confused:

19. bsa_414

If you look at the rulebook, novices that run formula classic bikes & f2 run with the class race and not with the novice races. Even though we were combined with f118, we've never had any problems in the past. I'm hoping that with the wide range of bikes that will be allowed in formula classic and the inclusion of the 250 class we will have a grid large enough to maybe separate from f118. We'll have to wait and see who and what shows up at round1!

20. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

I would think that they would run in that class, but not get scored. Someone can confirm when the rulebook gets finalized though