Ninja 250 class????

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Reckless, May 26, 2010.

1. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Hello there,
    I don't know if this is the right place for this post but if the moderators want to move it I'm cool.
    I did post some questions in the new to racing section a while ago asking how to get into racing and whether or not there was a Ninja 250 class at Mission.
    I got some very good answers and some great advice but I would like to have the answers given by the moderator "Dean" detailed a bit if I could.
    As I need to take a race school first I am in no great hurry to have the following questions answered but would appreciate if someone on the executive could answer them for me and everyone else with a Ninja 250. (Sorry I worked late the night of the last meeting or I would have shown up there and asked the questions.)

1. In my last post I was told that a Ninja 250 class was a "proposed reality". Isn't that like saying you are a little bit pregnant?
    Is it a proposed class for next year or does it exist now?
    2. If it is a class now what are the rules? If it will be a class next year what are the rules?
    3. If as mentioned you need 8 confirmed racers to form the class how do you know when you have 8? Is there a sign up sheet somewhere?

The reason I ask these questions is that everyone I have talked to who has a Ninja 250 would love to race it at the track if there was a class for it and they knew what modifications were allowed.
    Thanks for listening. I look forward you your response.

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

My understanding is as follows:

The class does not currently exist.
    However if 8 licensed racers were to have bikes in race ready condition we would then create the class.
    There is no official sign up sheet, but we could make a thread on here to confirm who is ready to race.
    To the best of my knowledge (yes, I know I'm leaving the door open on this one) the rules are very few. Race bodywork or stock with lights removed, closest thing you can get to race tires in that size, brake pads and lines, other than that I believe the rest was to remain stock.

This is by no means an official WMRC statement, someone please correct me if I am wrong on any point.

3. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

At this point (Last 4 races) we have 3-4 classes that don't even have enough to be scored......and they are official classes. We need all the 'Talkers' to come to the track and be 'racers'.

4. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Thanks Jayson and Bernie for your responses.
    Yes Bernie I totally understand how running a class or two that is struggling to meet the minimums makes the thought of another class somewhat silly. And it is a problem when you have riders who are showing up on the grid for a race simply to make up numbers.
    I also agree with others who have said that the 250 is too slow in a straight line to stay out of the way of anything else so if they were to run then they need their own class.
    I don't understand the "If you come we will build it" philosophy though. To say that you want 8 racers to buy, build and bring a bike to the track when there are no rules in place doesn't make sense to me. If they all show up with aftermarket exhausts and you then say the class rules are stock exhausts only do they all just take the bikes home and try again next race?
    Please understand I am only asking these questions because I have a 250, if I had a Harley then I would race in heavyweight twins and everything would be cool.
    If there were clear rules for the class posted then everyone would have a target. If you then get 8 racers showing up at a race next year with Ninja 250's then you have a class.
    I plan on taking the race school next spring and having a Ninja 250 for track days and racing if there is a class.
    If anyone else wants to join me that would be cool. Let's post a sign up sheet and as you say Bernie let's see how many "talkers" there are and how many "racers".

5. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Everything less than a 751cc (+) machine must run stock exhaust at Mission. Really I wouldn't change anything on the bike expect the bodywork, tires and brake pads. Other than that we can discuss rules for the class when the rules commitee meets again this fall. It would be an enormus task to try and sit down and make rules for every possible class and motorcycle configuration. That is part of the reason we say that if 8 riders show up we'll make a class. Very similar to the electric bike thread, this is somewhat of a moot point until people actually show up to race. (Although I think a 250 class is 1000% more likely than an electric bike filled grid>)

6. JasonG

JasonG New Member

Reckless, I think we need to get a group email list happening. We need to promote this. At least try to get 5 racers, with 250's in their garages by some point this year. I think few would jump on board then.

Just dont go to crazy with mods, as of right now, there is no official rules.

I think i understand what you are saying, it would be good to have some official direction on rules or info on the class. IE..if ur building one, it would be crap if you bought certain tires, or aftermarket brake pads...then later to learn its a spec-tires only. or replacing springs, later to find thats not allowed, just spacers for pre-load is OK..JUST an example..

But, like some have said here,

It has to be a stock ninja 250, and you are allowed to run , if you like,

run after market
    body work,
    brake pads, brake lines, brake fluid
    rear sets OR modify the stocks...??
    crash sliders.

these i think are the basics for now. It wont get much more crazier than this.

But who knows, maybe a certain brand exhaust well not go over the allowed db...its just a pathetic 250 4 stroke parallel twin, with a 13000rpm,

how cool would that be, a bunch of 250's buzzing down the straight and thru corners, like moto2..sort of...:)

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

right now the rules are:

safety wired and lights removed.

No other restrictions are on the bike. Everything else MUST remain stock, except for brake pads and body work if you desire, but you can run the stock bodywork with no issues.

We want to make that class as painless as it can get to get out on the track. Drilling a few holes in bolts to safety wire and removing the headlight assembly is about as easy as it gets. All the rest MUST remain stock to be a spec class.

8. Simon

Simon New Member

I tried, :(

9. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Thanks Dean for posting the rules.
    That makes my shopping list a lot smaller and easier on the wallet.

10. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Hey if the rules are going to say no rearsets can I swap out the pegs as the rubber that is on there now gets slippery in the rain. Is that allowed?

11. V-2-power

V-2-power Guest

ninja 250 is not a some kind race bike like 600 or 1000 cc to day to go on track
    with no modifications and have real fun.little ninja is a commuter fun city bike and to kip it stock and race it would be not so good.every class MUSThave regulatins that make class SAFE ! ! !specialy for new jung racers.drilling few holes and removing headlights is not enough.i`m sure you and every one else @ the beginning of ther own career have come with stock suspension to a point to say i need some modification or replacement for example, ninja 250 want be any diffrent some of them if not everyone is going to have later and later brake points until fork goes on block wich is not fun.
    any way, any kind of motorsport is not chip becose of safty regulations ! ! !
    let ppl.mod. suspension,pads + lines, oil pan, crash pads and of corse no antyfrees im system.

12. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

V-2-power,

You are totally missing the point of the 250 Ninja class, and why it has to be stock. It is to keep racing affordable (and fun) for people just getting into the sport. Affordable = more people on the grid = more fun racing. You are right, some riders will eventually push the little bike to its limits, and maybe crash. Trust me - you tuck the front end in once, you'll (hopefully) know how much you can push it next time. It's part of racing, and learning to communicate with your bike. Some of the mods you are suggesting with top of the line components would almost double the cost of the bike. I'd rather be at the track with a stock bike, than have a tricked-out racer sitting in my garage, 'cause I spent my entry fee money on an upside down Brembo equipped, Ohlin front end for my Ninja 250. Yeah, times are tough if you haven't noticed and racing can be a big money pit.

cheers
    alex

13. Jacalyn

Jacalyn Thread killer....

Does the stock belly pan hold fluid?

14. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

V-2-Power, once again you are totally off the mark here. It's called spec class racing and displacement doesn't matter. do you even race?

15. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

I don't think so. The bike only has 1.9L of oil so you could theoretically take one of those aluminum cooking pans or a steel baking dish and shove it in there held in place by some zip-ties.

alex

16. V-2-power

V-2-power Guest

i think communication level is very hard for me here,you guys do not understand me and my way i have learn in eu.
    i`m just saying making a class chip is ok but it is just not safe enough and any kind of motorsport must be safe for your own and others thats what i have try to say.any way you want to know if i race?right now no i just immigrate a few years ago and is not easy new live.but if everything goes well and i`m done with my projects 2012 i`m back on track.
    and 1 more thing i do not want to be here some kind idiot who no body understand,and i would like to live this community but i did not find in faq how can i delete my acount.
    can you help me out,please ?

17. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Hmmm, OK. Thanks for your input V-2-power. I understand the "you have to be safe" part but I don't understand how spending vast sums of money to make my bike go faster or brake harder will make me "safer". To be honest you could give me a Ducati 1198 and Crevier or any of the other top racers could still beat me in a 12 lap race on a moped with a flat tire.
    The advantage with a small bike like the Ninja 250 is that you can find the limits of the bike without going too fast. Yes you may go too far, yes you may crash but that will happen on any bike if you push past your limits or the bikes limits. Better forks and brakes won't stop me from crashing if I miss my braking points.

18. Reckless

Reckless New Member

Hey Jacalyn,
    no the stock belly pan doesn't hold fluid but Attack racing makes a racing belly pan that just screws on over the stock bodywork that holds fluids. They also make an insert for the space where your missing headlights would be. Very cheap.
    I am sure that if there is interest Flexi-glass would make something similar locally. They already make race bodywork for the 250.

19. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I can take care of that part for you. Thanks for stopping in....

20. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

:)

:) Using the rear sets of your choice is pretty common in spec classes I am aware of. We made up replacement rear sets for the Ninja 250 for just this purpose that are used in some other clubs and areas.

Normally spec refers to the performance aspects of bikes, ie, suspension, engine, exhaust, wheels and tires,

Often bike used for these classes are write off wrecks, the OEM rear sets are toast, and aftermarket are often not only cheaper but a better choice,

I hope enough people jump on the 250 to make it happen,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair