I thought racing was about actually having your bike on the track!

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Nancy, May 23, 2010.

1. Nancy

Nancy Practice Racer

So, what's with some of the racers who started the race, rode around the track for about two laps, pulled in to pit lane, and then when there were two or three laps left of the 10 lap race, pulled out again to "complete" (I use this term very lightly) the race??

What happened to the spirit of racing? Is it now all about points and we, as racers don't want to race when the track is a little wet, or a little dry for our rains?

Please explain...

Not to be an ass or anything, but if I can complete a race as I described above (to be sure that I complete it without incident) then I'm going to start doing that just for the points.

:surrender:

2. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

I think the people you are referring to felt that it was not worth destroying a $400 set of rain tires.

3. urquhart

urquhart New Member

she isnt the only person talking about this "new" form of racing that Westwood seems to have embraced. Started in the first race weekend and seems to be popular still in Rounds 3 and 4. Lots of people are discussing this in the pits and kudos for bringing it up on the forums.

If they were truely worried about their rains then they would have pitted, not waited to do one more for the points.

4. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

Unless I am mistaken the 2 riders in question brings the total for that race to 5(?). Thus giving points to all riders in that class...

5. Norm

Norm New Member

For sure it's not right to practice such trickery in racing (it's kinda like politics). However, I have to admit that I wish someone had done that in the last F40 race. It really sucks when only four riders grid up when there were five on the list :rolleyes:

C'mon folks, let's race and have fun. If it's rainy or half wet or whatever, go slower but let's get out there :D

6. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

I don't believe that it is trickery (maybe some of the guys), but most of the riders doing that are out there to provide the required number of racers on the grid so points will be awarded and contingency can be paid out, so it's more of a favor to the guys/gals in that class. There were a couple who were on rains and knew the tires wouldn't last the race and just waited to cross the finish line on the final lap to gain a few points. Don't be hatin'. :cool:

7. Nancy

Nancy Practice Racer

I was on rains and figured I was out there so just kept going. Unfortunately, I didn't get any points even though I continued on. I showed up to be out on the track. It was my decision to stay out there on rains and maybe I should have pulled off as well... just for the points.

Being out there backfired on me. Doh!!

8. Bez

Bez Mission 1:11.87

Hey Nancy, I am one of the culprits that pulled off in the hot pit lane and waited until the last lap flag was displayed so i could finish the race. The reason i did it was because when i did my warm up lap i realized that i had added too much duck tape to my air filter and my bike was starving for air. Every time i would get on the gas and rev over 4500 RPM it would bog real bad.
    Knowing that there was a chance that there might not be enough bikes on the track for contingency money (the same money I LOST on May 1 and 2nd Middleweight Superbike due to not enough bikes on the grid)
    I did race the Middleweight Twins race at 2:25pm on rain tires, and yes i did waist $400 on a pair of rains that now look like slicks.... LOL

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

I did the same as Bez, but not with the duct tape. I wasted $400 on a set or rains in round 1 and 2 to NOT get contingency, so this time, I didn't want to waste the $400, but I wanted everyone to get points and contingency.

10. Brett

Brett Twin Brothers Racing WMRC Exec

Next time I grid fill, it would be nice if there was at least a couple of other riders out there, could have used that time to get the dry tires back on.

And I got a real kick out of Rick, asking if I was aware this race was intended for twins.
    As far as I know, I was the only real twin out there. :D

11. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

OMG!!! :lolup::clap::thumbup: THAT, has got to be the quote of the year. That's funny.I should have got both of you guys in the 'Twins' class and really mess Rick up.

12. Jaybo

Jaybo if you want blood

I would've gone for it. then it would really be the "battle of the twins"

13. Simon

Simon New Member

Oh snap, :crazy::band:

14. dr_vu

dr_vu New Member

what?? racing cost money? someone should have told me this before I started racing....that's so weak!

15. Bernie32

Vu......you should read the title. It says about having you bike 'ON' the track.....not 'UPSIDEDOWN' or 'ALLOVER' the track. ;)

16. adam0289

adam0289 New Member

Maybe the real problem is too many classes. If there is no demand (not enough riders) eliminate the class. Do we really need senior superbike and f40. if we eliminated the "made up" classes maybe we could have a thriving, strong (and separate) intermediate and pro. after all didn't they create novice, intermediate and pro for a reason. shouldn't everyone fall under one one these.
    i do agree there is a reason to have twins and vintage but sorry i find it hard to understand why with 3 intermediate classes people feel the need to avoid them and race f118.

17. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

A few years ago, f40 was the biggest class!
    Picking which classes will fill up each year, that's like solving peace in the middle east!

18. Bernie32

I think the last 4 races were a bit of a crap shoot due to the weather. For us to only get 2 riders in taste of racing is week to say the least. Last year we had up to 16 street riders show up. I have buddies that haven't even insured their street rides yet because of the weather.

19. Simon

Simon New Member

Maybe after the first few weekends, we should re-evaluate the class's and either eliminate/join class's together. I know F40 was brought out to keep racing fun but do we really need it? Senior and F40 are what, 15 bikes combined? The list is endless, :(

It was long weekend also, that doesn't help as everyone is out of town.

20. m_raison

m_raison New Member

It was long weekend also, that doesn't help as everyone is out of town.[/QUOTE]

+1. i had previous houseboating plans up in shuswap.