Was the SV Cup cancelled for 2010?

Discussion in 'General Racing Chat' started by Jason Henton, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jason Henton

Jason Henton New Member

Well, as the title asks, anyone know for certain? I heard the national class was dropped does that include the regionals too? Contingency gone too?

2. Bernie32

Bernie32 Free Highside Demoes

As far as the US goes....yes 100%. Suzuki was actually losing money as it wasn't selling any more new bikes because of the races. In most cases the bikes were resold to other racers to be used again and again and again. Take a look at how many SVs are for sale in the US. Some only a few years old, fully loaded, ohlins, slipper clutchs, extra wheels some for as low as $2500-$3000.

I have been speaking to Dan Zahara from Western Suzuki and it looks like Canada will follow suit. I begged him to see if he could keep the class and the contingency but it is a corporate choice back East. That being said.......go to you bike shows....hunt down your local Suzuki Rep and beg the same. Who knows, it might re-inforce the cause. All the OEMs are hurting right now in the Advertising/ Sponsorship departments. They may be looking for 'Grass roots' racers who will pay for bikes.

As for the WMRC.......you can still race them in a few different classes.

3. Ryan Whittle

Ryan Whittle Rider of Orange V-Twins

The new rulebook will be posted online shortly. For 2010, there will not be a standalone SV Cup class with the WMRC.

The SV is still by far one of the best bikes to learn to go racing on. As for contingency, I didn't get paid out for the last 3 rounds as there weren't enough bikes on the grid.

4. spero

spero Team Modern Racing

Hell yeah! The SV is not only a great bike to race but it's cheap on tires, and is so much fun. It can go soooo deep on the brakes and it turns really well. Last couple times that I went to JP's Star School he put me on a stock SV650 and not only did I have fun, especially battling a guy on a 600 at Thill, but I learned a lot.

Too bad about not getting paid out Ryan. Proud of you for getting on the box though.

5. Jason Henton

Jason Henton New Member

Thats what I figured. Any clues as to if there will be a class with similar restrictions? Ie. Showroom stock racing? Or at least lower HP limits?

6. Jayson

Jayson Highside Racing

There will be plenty of classes for all types of bikes. If you leaning toward a lower cost class check out some of our sport bike classes. Geared toward older yet still very quick machines they tend to be cheaper to race than the newer super sport and super bike machines. SV's will still be popular for all the reasons posted above. In your first several years racing the bike will not hold you back at all. I've see guys be competitive in the Intermediate Super bike class on 10 year old machines with only brake and tire changes. Buy the bike you can afford to race and come out and have fun, you don`t need to have the fastest, prettiest or most expensive bike in the pits to enjoy the sport. In fact most will tell you that the cheaper slower bikes are more fun per dollar than the new blingy stuff.

but then I`m not really one to talk about bling now am I?? :cool:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. Jason Henton

Jason Henton New Member

Yeah, thats what I was leaning towards, SVCup was enticing as a starter class, so I was starting to build an eligible machine... Now, I guess the plans will have to be changed! Might actually be a good thing, Way easier to find non-SVCup legal stuff than to find OEM parts ect.

8. Wblairlayton

Wblairlayton Faster and Faster

SV Cup Canceled

:) The SV Cup is gone but not forgotten, most owners will racing their bikes in middleweight twins, Battle of the Twins, F2, Formula 118 and other similar classes,

Go ahead and finish your bike up, it will nothing but fun for you out at the track.

If you are looking for SV parts and goodies to get your bike ready for the track, Email me at b.layton@svracingparts.com and I will be happy to help you out,

It is a great group out at Mission Track and here at WMRC.

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
    Blair

9. Jason Henton

Jason Henton New Member

Thanks Blair, I am still interested in running a SV as long as it can still be competative. I currently have an entire '99 machine with a cracked frame and no front end. The header pipes are also toast... Figure I maybe able to rebuild or just keep it for spares.. Have you (or anyone) had a frame repaired? It looks straight, the crack is at the factory weld above the engine, and just behind the steering head. Its easy to get at, and a decent welder should be able to fix it up good, but I am slightly unsure of getting a non "frame repair" guy to do it. I know it can be fixed at a frame shop ($500+S&H) but a few of the local guys could probably do it for under $100. Any thoughts?

10. Shane

Shane chronic user

hi jason,
    i've spent a lot of time on SV's and my opinion is get it welded for the $100, you can get stock header/pipes for almost nothing, and pick up a front end - there is likely a bunch out there as guys swap them out for better forks and brakes. the SV is such a stable bike that even if the frame is tweaked a bit, I don't think most riders on Westwood would be able to tell.
    again, just my thoughts..
    shane

11. Rick

Rick Old Guy

Hey Jason, I can probably help you out with your bike. Not sure if I still have a good head pipe, but I have a good front end and I can recommend a good welder.

12. Simon

Simon New Member

So why aren't you racing one? :jerkoff: