Important news regarding the 2012 season at Mission Raceway Park for the WMRC

Discussion in 'Racing at Mission' started by Dean, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jerry

Jerry New Member

If we do this we must find a way to accommodate WCSS. Without them we have no new riders - I'm that boat right now. Furthermore, I expect WCSS must have income from Track Daze to survive.

Finally, as I stated in an earlier post, I think we are (mostly) done for weekend racing at Mission - and there is diddly squat we can do about it.

2. Stefan

Stefan Past Prez 3 times over!

Sorry to hear things have screwed up. Best of luck to you all getting it sorted. I know it will be hard but this may turn out better than you think....

3. Simon

Simon New Member

I also think Monday's will be better for us to get off work.

4. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

I agree that the club needs new members and new riders, however, at this point what the club needs to do is figure out how to have a race season without risking the bankruptcy of the club.

There is no point in having new members if there isn't any racing to be done or if the club itself goes bankrupt.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Point taken, but I was looking a bit further down the road.

6. fiftycapt

fiftycapt The Captain

My dad is right:

It's a shitty situation regarding who gets the Mondays, WMRC or WCSS. WMRC should get them if it means keeping the racing alive this year. Spero's schedule should stand. Troy and Geo should focus on tradex this summer and select a few days for Mission (are there any Mondays/Fridays left???). This is the tough sacrifice we all have to make. I will be at all WCSS track days to support them, and I urge all racers to do the same, if possible. This will be a year of sacrifice for us all, but we MUST persist and make a championship happen. Please push for Spero's proposed schedule and make racing happen for the WMRC at Mission in 2012. We can show these assholes what real men do (women too) in the face of condecending ignorance and bullying:cool:

7. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

Guys, the situation about Mondays is that they are taken already. WCSS has taken them to try to salvage their situation. Mondays are not open to the WMRC. Like in the first post, I stated that the dates are on a first come first served basis. We didn't take the Mondays, so they are NOT available to us. Like I said, I reserved the Fridays that were left.

We can discuss this more at our meeting.

8. fiftycapt

fiftycapt The Captain

WCSS should give us the Mondays, take the Fridays, and focus on Tradex. WMRC could run our July and August Mondays with 2 additional races to include WCSS students, a fast group and a slow group. 7 laps each. $75 per person and WCSS gets the revenue. This would be a fair compromise. Racers will have a far easier time getting Mondays off and we need them to save our season. Everyone here needs to give a bit, and their must be a reasonable rationale between WMRC and WCSS to ensure the big picture. Combining some of the Mondays between the 2 groups outlined above and urging WCSS to focus more on Tradex this year is going to be a solid way to make this season a go. Broad-based, creative thinking has to prevail here. Plus WCSS student will love the idea of participating in "mock" races with the "big" boys.

50 Capt

9. fiftycapt

fiftycapt The Captain

I think we need to approach WCSS with my suggestion Dean...see above

cheers

10. Simon

Simon New Member

I agree but obviously we can chat more on Wednesday, I know my MOnday's are alot easier to handle than Friday's due to work not getting done etc so Friday's/Saturday's usually become what I can't finish or jobs that go bad.

11. JIMMY

JIMMY New Member

Seems a no brainer to me that we would start with taking any Tuesdays available following the WCSS Mondays. Setting up and tearing down for one day and racing with no practice day is f'cked up IMHO.

12. bsa_414

bsa_414 WMRC Formula Classic Rep

Warning! Most of you will not like the contents of this post...

Dean, Nikola and the rest of the executive,

Opening up this issue to a general vote is wrong. Having the meeting is a good thing, you guys should listen to what people have to say/propose, go away, mull it over and then make an 'executive' decision. We elected you guys, because we trust you, and we trust that you will have the well being of the club and general ridership in mind when you make important decisions.

Why do I say this? Because most people are not intimately familiar, with our financial situation, and how we have done historically on weekday racing. Most people have no idea what the track rental fee is, and what the minimum numbers of riders required to break even is. They don't think of gate revenue from spectators, TOR revenue, and what possible impact this will have on sponsors.

You ask people that don't regularly attend meetings to come to this one and vote. That's just plain wrong. They should be able to propose/discuss issues, but you, the executive, should have the final say.

If you are considering running a season with weekday dates, I hope you are considering doing so, contingent on how many people pre-pay ahead of time. Yes. You should ask for 100% money up front (of what people want to race), non-refundable. Set a date, say end of march or 3 weeks before first race (before you give out $'s to the SCCBC), and if you don't have enough entries to at least break even, cancel the season and issue a 90% refund. Going by what people promise in January to do in Jun-Sept. is plain suicide. Let's see, your car could break, roof could leak, job could dissapear, it's raining, family problems, illness ,bike blows up etc. The key to this is non refundable!

Myself, I would pre-pay for the 2 races that I plan to do. Would love to do weekdays but as mentioned before,due to work/boss problems no can do.

Told you, you wouldn't like my opinions. Flame away...

13. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Totally agree

14. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

If WCSS is there, it makes sense to take Tuesdays and make a sort of weekend out of it.

But the points about spectator (and TOR) attendance is an important one as there basically won't be any on a Tuesday. And racer attendance will definitely be lower. We had a great monday race last year, but that was just one day. 5 weekday races (plus lots of us will go to WCSS days) is a lot harder to handle.

I do agree with airing the issues and then letting the executive make the decision they feel is best. I sure don't envy them that responsibility though.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

I'm not sure about a no-brainer (lots of issues), but that makes the most sense.
    A WCSS track day without racers is a bust, and so is a WMRC practice day without the WCSS. There is a reason the status quo is what it is.

16. Bernie

Bernie Ranter Extrodinaire

True. Especially the last part. Good luck boys and girls.

17. Lance

Lance WMRC # 39

Just to clarify my comment in post # 73......

I think that we need practice before race days and therefore we should have back to back days wherever possible for this reason alone.

I also think that doing set up and take down for one day of riding is a huge effort.....particularly for those of us that actually show up to do the work. I think that if we run mid week race days the number of people showing up for set up and take down will be even fewer which means those of us that are there doing it will be stuck with even more work. I am not keen on that happening.

I think that if we make a decision to go ahead there needs to be FIRM commitments from people about attendance (as Alex said prepay events) but also there needs to be firm commitments about set up and take down (i.e every racer needs to do half or more of the total number of set ups and take downs) with some sort of penalty if they don't.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. Andrew Marles

Andrew Marles Member

Now that I have my own bike transport, I have zero issues getting out there for track setup. In fact, it's easier for me to commit to doing setup than it is to race as I can get out for track setup after work.

Wonder if we could think about running practices/track days in the evening like they do in Edmonton? Might be something to consider. Ambulance service is probably an issue for that.

19. JIMMY

JIMMY New Member

Food for thought...
    I just got off the phone with US Customs and Border protection in Blaine. They have " Absolutely no issues" with a Canadian Non Profit operating a race day at a US track.
    If reasonable insurance can be had maybe we should start seriously looking at the feasibility of this option?

20. Dean

Dean Just a beer league racer

The reason we opened up this decision to all of you is because it is in this executive's opinion to scrap the season and not even bother. If it's a decision about a day here and there, what schedule we will follow,etc, we make those decisions on your behalf. When it comes to scrapping the season, we want all members to decide.

Again, I'll release more details at the meeting on Wednesday. Obviously, our organization is going to change drastically over this, as well as some of our procedures.